A behind the scenes look into maintenance practices including past, present and future development plans of the Lac la Biche Golf Club.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Snow Blowing Greens.

Yesterday I plowed all the cart paths so that we have full access to the golf course. Today I rented a Toro Dingo with 48inch snow blower attachment and I have to say I'm very impressed with this machine. The rubberized tracks provide plenty of grip and the diesel engine has enough grunt to throw the snow a long ways. The one downside is the drive and steering controls. It's very tiring for the thumbs and wrist but I'll suck it up for the efficiency it provides. In 5 hours I was able to blow off greens #2, 3, 4, 6, 9 and the nursery. If all goes well I will have the back 9 done by the end of tomorrow. This is the first time in my 10 years at the club that I have snow blowed the greens. With warm temps expected for the next few weeks, I thought it best to rid the greens of potential water (snow) and ice and let the greens breath a bit. As stated in my earlier post
( Feb 21/2012)  ) I'm very concerned with the amount of ice that has blanketed the golf course this winter. It's been a winter unlike any I've ever seen.

Dingo in action on #4 Green

#4 Green done and cleaned down to ice. Ice is approx. 35mm

#3 Green. Keys are sitting on top of tarp. Notice ice in background
which is no longer clear in color like it was in January.

#3 Green. Our worst green for snow and ice build up.
The berm around this green drains and retains water
which makes no sense why it was built this way.
Before I snow blowed, there was 37cm (15 inches)
on the backside of this green.

No comments:

Post a Comment